Crumbly Vegan Sugar Cookies

August 06, 2015

These are the best sugar cookies I've ever made!!


They're perfect for Valentine's Day, Christmas, Birthdays or any event or holiday, really.


This is not just a 'it's-good-for-a-vegan-cookie' kind of recipe, it's a 'gimme-gimme-gimme-more' kind of recipe. My family couldn't believe that the cookies are vegan! My friends really liked it too and they said that the cookies tasted like Chinese New Year cookies :)


These delicious cookies are so crumbly and they melt in your mouth like velvet.


One won't be enough.


The original recipe is here but I modified it and gave it my own twist with the ingredients I had at home.

I'm not sure what made this recipe so magical but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I used coconut oil and canola oil instead of a vegan butter.

Using oil has a few benefits such as:
1. It may be hard to find vegan butter. Coconut oil and canola oil may be easier to find.
2. It's cheaper as well!

Anyway, enough talk! Here's the recipe to this heavenly goodness.

Ingredients:

375g plain flour
100g brown sugar
20g white sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
120ml coconut oil
120ml canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp water (if batter is too dry)
Optional: Add crushed cashew nuts or chocolate chips/any topping you desire

(Feel free to half the portion)

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking soda – mix to combine. 
  2. Add coconut oil, canola oil and vanilla to the mixture – mix till just combined (add water slowly if dough seems dry).
  3. Place the batter in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (To be honest, I ain't got patience for that. I left it for about 15 minutes, but I believe that leaving it longer will make the batter easier to work with.) At this time, preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
  4. Roll the batter into a ball and press down on the pan lined with baking paper.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the edges turn golden brown.
The cookies are going to be quite soft and VERY crumbly so I recommend that you let the cookies cool completely before handling them.

Give it a taste test and let yourself be transported to vegan food heaven.

I hope you try this recipe out! If you do, I'd love to see your creations; tag me @msnicoolest on Instagram! Hope you have an amazing day/night! Bye for now :))

You Might Also Like

0 comments