Done with Year 1 in IT

March 10, 2018

My my, how time flies.


The applications in the picture above were the torture devices for this semester.

Year 1 was such a roller coaster ride and let me just continue from where I left off in my First Semester in IT post. At the time, I hadn't gotten back my results for the first semester yet but all I can say is - I did better than what I expected and I'm very, very thankful that my hard work paid off.


For this second semester, which completes my first year in polytechnic, I personally feel like it was more manageable. Perhaps it's because I've already adjusted to the system and I know how to manage my time better. Another factor could've also been the fact that web development is more manageable compared to mobile application development.

This post will be me rambling and giving a summary of the semester 1.2 and my first year in TP IT.

These were the modules I took for this semester:
  • IT Security Essentials (ITSE)
  • The Essentials of Persuasive Presentations (CMSK)
  • Digital Devices and Systems (DDSY)
  • Data Structures and Algorithms (DSAG)
  • Coding and Testing (CODT) + Database Application Development (DBAV) + Application Development Project (ADEV)
  • Sports & Wellness
  • Introduction to Language & Culture (French)

ITSE was fun during the first half of the semester. There was a project where we had to talk about cyber security and such - I made a video on Ransomware Growth which captured some attention from the teachers, I think HAHA. But one of my philosophies when it comes to school work is to make yourself feel like:

In a good way of course, haha. I think you'll get what I mean after you watch my video for one of my ITSE projects. Here's the link to the embarrassing video.
It was good because teachers knew me but bad because it put me under a lot of pressure due to the expectations which the teachers had for me. I'm honestly not sure what grade I'll get for this module but I'm hoping that I won't be too disappointed.

CMSK is a compulsory module which I'll have to endure till year 2 ends. It's not too bad but it's still a cause of stress - especially when a presentation comes around. Speaking of presentations, I feel like my presenting skills have improved by leaps and bounds. I no longer feel as nervous and I feel like I'm able to memorise my script much better. I'm also a little more comfortable with improvising on the spot. It feels good :)

DDSY, from what I heard, was a pain for a lot of people. I'm no exception. Nothing much to say but this module was stressful. I'm just hoping for the best.

CODT, DBAV and ADEV made up one cluster of subjects and the final project for those three modules was a website. The previous semesters major project was a mobile application - this semester was focused on web design and development. The theme for the website was food and beverage so, being a vegan foodie in the past, I decided to make a website selling vegan food and I made use of my past food pictures.
I'm actually pretty proud of my website. I'm not the best programmer or web developer but I think I'm not too shabby at web design (I think? heh). It wasn't easy but I enjoyed the whole web development process :) 

Sports & Wellness was implemented the year I entered poly. I thought it would be a chore but it was actually really fun. There were many laughs - like the one time we played netball and I got body slammed by a classmate and fell HAHA, and doing pilates with the girls - I really enjoyed S&W.

French was my cross-disciplinary subject (CDS). I won't go into the details but CDS is essentially a compulsory module that a student has to take which is unrelated to their core course of study. For example, if I'm an IT student, my CDS cannot be related to IT.
French was so fun and I really loved learning the language and the culture. I did rather well in the tests and role play presentation so it's reassuring to know that my CDS wasn't going to affect my GPA negatively. One of our assignment is to attend some French event outside school so I went to watch a French movie called Alone (Seuls) at Shaw Theatres during the French Film Festival.
Throwback to dusty blonde hair.

When I thought my French journey in school has concluded, I received news from the head-of-department of French that I got nominated for a French Alumni Award :')  One student from every institution receives the award and it is really such a honour to receive it. It's always so motivating when hard work pays off.
I think I'm going to continue learning French - it's truly such a beautiful language.
Woohoo :)

The first half of semester 1.2 was good, I was told by my care group teacher (form teacher) that I was doing very, very well. But I guess I got distracted during the second half of the semester. Things got difficult and then it got dull. I was more unstable and the assignments and tests in the second half were more taxing. Nonetheless, I did my best and I just kept going. And voila, I made it to the end of the year. and I'm praying that when the results come out in April, I won't be too disappointed. If I do badly, I believe that it'll be much-needed wake-up call.

I learnt a lot this semester, not just academically. I've made and strengthened a lot of friendships, especially within my class and I've learnt a lot about myself too. I won't go into too much detail but I think overall, this semester was a roller coaster ride. I met a lot of new people and encountered a lot of not-so-nice individuals that got me like:


But I've met some gems too and I think all the hurt I went through was worth it in the end :)

I actually filmed my reaction when I opened my results for the first semester, I'm planning on filming my reaction for this semester and the following semesters as well. Then I'm going to compile the clips into one video do a final reflection on my time in TP! I think it'll be fun to look back on :)

All in all, I really enjoyed my first year in poly and I'm proud of myself for persevering. I think it's so important to celebrate the small victories too! I'm also so grateful for the teachers and friends who've made this past year so much more enjoyable and amazing♥ Also really thankful for the unwavering support from my family♥♥♥

I'm enjoying my holiday so far. I recently performed with my secondary school string ensemble in Victoria Concert Hall. I have a vlog of the nonsense that went on behind the scenes leading up to the concert on the day itself on my YouTube channel. The link is here :)

I can't wait to keep doing enriching activities for myself and relax after a grueling first year, haha. Going to recharge for year 2, I definitely need all the rest and chill vibes I can get. In the meantime, I'll be eating, sleeping, going to the gym (been getting back my fitness) and spending time with loved ones♥
Last but certainly not the least, I'll be praying that my semester 1.2 results will be favourable, and if not then I'll also be praying that I won't be too disappointed.


That's all for this post, bye for now :)

[Source for all the gifs are Google]

You Might Also Like

0 comments