Cake-y Vegan Brownies

November 05, 2015

Hello guys, it's been a while!
I've been busy studying for prelims and O levels but since today marks the end of my prelims, I decided to bake!

I've been wanting to bake vegan brownies using this recipe for a while and I'm glad I did!! I made a few modifications though, so this is my variation:

Ingredients:

400g plain flour
200ml hot water (100ml room temp water + 100ml boiled water)
250g brown sugar* (see note)
150g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
115ml canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional: Chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Pour 200ml hot water into 100g of the flour, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste.
  2. Let cool completely.
  3. Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and vegetable oil, and then add the flour-water mixture.
  4. Mix well.
  5. Add the remaining 300g of flour, plus the baking powder and chocolate chips.
  6. Spread mixture into pan.
  7. Bake at 170ºC for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.

It seemed really strange and unusual to mix hot water with the flour at first but whatever it does, it's amazing!


In my opinion, it tastes best when you let it cool down, but not completely. The top layer hardens slightly while the inside layers stay gooey and cake-y!

Note: If I had the chance to do this again, I'd add more sugar though. My family is pretty health-conscious hence I held back on the sugar. But if you want something a little more decadent, using white/caster sugar would be great too :)

Have a great day, bye for now :))

You Might Also Like

0 comments