Basic Vegan Pancakes

December 22, 2015


Okay, MAJOR pancake overload. I obviously didn't finish this whole pancake tower at one go but I was so stuffed after having just 3 pancakes. 

I've tried making pancakes in the past and I'm still trying to master the art of making perfect circular pancakes. I did learn a lot from this attempt though! 


Ingredients
(Makes about 6-8 pancakes, depending on size)

120g flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
250ml non-dairy milk (room temp)
1 tbsp melted coconut oil* (See note)
15g sugar of your choice (or maple/agave syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract 
More oil to grease pan, if necessary

Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. 
  2. In a larger bowl,  mix the milk, oil, sugar and vanilla extract. 
  3. Pour the dry mixture into the liquid mixture. Stir until combined, so only a few lumps remain (don't over-mix or your pancakes will be tough!). If you'd like to mix in any totally optional add-ins (like chocolate chips or blueberries), gently fold them in now. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes so your pancakes will be nice and fluffy.
  4. Heat your pan over medium-low heat. You’re ready to start cooking your pancakes once the surface of the pan is hot enough that a drop of water sizzles on contact.
  5. If necessary, lightly oil the cooking surface with additional oil or cooking spray (I don’t oil the surface of my non-stick griddle and my pancakes turned out great).
  6. Using a tablespoon, place a large scoop of batter onto the warm skillet and slightly spread it out with the spoon. Cook until small bubbles form on the surface of the pancakes and flip. Cook on the opposite sides until golden brown.
  7. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more oil as needed. You may need to adjust the heat up or down at this point. Serve the pancakes immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree Fahrenheit oven.


Note: If your coconut oil solidifies on contact with the cold milk, gently warm it in the microwave just until it liquifies again.


You can top the pancakes with anything you like! Vegan chocolate, maple syrup, agave syrup, vegan butter/margarine, blueberries, strawberries etc.

Also, I've been trying to step-up my food photography game. It's been really fun and exciting! I don't have much time left before the collection of my O-level results so I'm trying to have as much fun as I can now :)


After collecting my results in January, I'll have to make many important decisions and think a lot about things. Sigh.


Anyway, I'm quite proud of how these pancakes turned out :)  So, if you're looking for a sweet and hearty breakfast, do give these pancakes a try! I'm still a pancake amateur so if you have any tips, you can comment down below :)

That's all for this post, bye for now!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments