Basic Vegan Cupcakes with Coconut Glaze

January 20, 2016

Aloha.


So, I had an awesome day with my dearest friend :))  We had lunch at Veggie Cottage then bought some stuff from Mustafa. We then spontaneously decided to bake. This lovely cupcake was the result of our sudden stroke of inspiration.


The cupcake was super moist and fluffy. With the addition of the sweet coconut glaze, this cupcake was taken to a whole new level of deliciousness.


Here's the original recipe. As usual, I made quite a few changes. This is my rendition of a basic vegan cupcake :)


Ingredients

For cupcake:
10ml apple cider vinegar
235ml non-dairy milk (I recommend any nut milk)
170g plain flour
80g sugar (i used brown sugar but feel free to use white sugar)
6g baking powder
2g baking soda
pinch of salt
80ml coconut oil, melted
1tsp vanilla extract

For coconut glaze:
30ml full-fat coconut milk
1tbsp coconut oil
80g Icing sugar

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees F). Line cupcake tray with 10-12 paper baking cups.
  2. Fill medium bowl with non-dairy milk then add apple cider vinegar. Let stand until curdled to make vegan 'buttermilk', about 5-10 minutes. 
  3. In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 
  4. Add coconut oil and vanilla extract into the bowl with the 'buttermilk' and mix well.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups evenly.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven until toothpick inserted in the centre of the cupcake comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  7. While waiting for cupcakes, prepare the frosting. Mix the coconut oil, coconut milk and icing sugar with a hand mixer. If it's too liquid-y, add more icing sugar. If it's too hard, add more coconut milk.
  8. Let cupcake cool completely before topping with coconut glaze.
 

 It seems like a painfully slow process to wait for the cupcakes to cool completely but you gotta do what you gotta do. I've tried frosting cakes/cupcakes while they were still warm in the past. Not fun. Very messy.


Ready to glaze?


My friend commented that they looked like cinnamon roll cupcakes and I couldn't agree more, hahaha. Maybe if you add cinnamon, it could be!


Okay, time for some mindless rambling. 

I've been reading a lot lately and I've been loving it!! I just bought The Great Gatsby a not too long ago and finished it in 3 days. Well, I read it in 3 days but there's so much to ponder about afterwards so I'm not really done with it. I can't wait to watch the movie :))

After that welcome back to the world of novels, I've been venturing to find more classics. And so I'm currently reading The Age of Innocence. Totally different kind of writing style and it's so fascinating.


Authors are amazing aren't they? They're like composers but instead of weaving notes and melodies together, they string words one after another and give them such deep messages. Writing is truly a talent and I think it should be valued more, especially in this digital age when words seem to hold less meaning and hard-cover books are getting under-appreciated.

I should end this post here or else it never will, hahaha.
  

That's all for this post, bye for now!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments