Low-fat Vegan Soft Pretzels

January 04, 2016

Oooooh gurl.


I remembered that I had leftover yeast from way back so I was searching through recipes which required yeast. I came across pretzels and was like, "These be looking fiiiine."


I don't know why this post is turning out to be so ratchet, hahaha. But let's roll with it. *wink*

These pretzels are almost oil-free, making them low in fat :)

The toppings for the pretzels are totally up to you! I just chose some to be plain and some to have a topping of cinnamon sugar with agave syrup as the 'glue' to stick the cinnamon sugar on.

Recipe taken from here.

Ingredients

7g yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
120ml water (warm, about 40° Celsius)

180g flour
pinch of salt
25g sugar

300ml water
20g (4 tsp) baking soda
Salt for topping

Directions


1. To prepare the pretzel dough, stir together the yeast, 1/4 tsp of sugar, and warm water in a small bowl, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes until frothy.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and remaining sugar. Make a well in the center, and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir until a dough forms.
(If the dough is too dry, add water a teaspoon at a time until the dough is kneadable. If the dough is too wet and sticky, add flour little by little until the right dough consistency.)

3. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead for 4-6 minutes or until the dough springs back when a finger is pressed into it. Shape the dough into a ball. 

4. Coat a clean, dry bowl with nonstick cooking spray (or 1 tsp canola oil), and roll the dough ball around until coated with the cooking spray (or oil). Lay a towel over the top, and place the bowl in a warm, draft-free place to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Then divide the dough into balls.


5. Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius and line the tray with a baking sheet.

6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball on the countertop with your hands until it’s about 40-50cm in length. Twist into a pretzel shape. (Watch this video for a tutorial on pretzel shaping)


7. To prepare the pretzel topping, boil water and let it cool slightly until hot to touch. (So you can still touch it but it doesn't burn you). Add the baking soda to a shallow bowl, and pour the hot water on top. Dip each pretzel in the water bath, and place on the prepared sheet.

8. Sprinkle with salt for topping. Bake at 200° Celsius for 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes before turning them. Best eaten warm!!


When these babies first came out of the oven, I was so pleasantly surprised. I was glad that they looked good and I was just hoping that they would taste as good as they looked. But damn. They tasted better than they looked! I'm so thankful for the recipe I found and that the little tweaks I made turned out alright :)  

This is going to be my go-to pretzel recipe from now on.


These pretzels are soft on the inside and the salt really adds a beautiful flavour.

Let me just spam more pictures. 


We learnt in art class that orange and blue are complimentary colours. Since these pretzels were kinda orange, I gave it a blue background and BAM. They really popped out and the pictures were interesting :)


 I love the taste of pretzels with cinnamon sugar so much.


Taking pictures in the sun is really fun but shadows can be such a hindrance sometimes.


If only I had pictures of me behind the scenes while I'm taking pictures. I'm totally sweating and going 360 degrees around the table. It's pretty ridiculous, hahaha.


Yummy~


Do try this recipe out and tag me on Instagram @nicoolest_ :))

Bye for now!!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. omg this recipe looks so simple and great! Will try it soon

    ReplyDelete