Oil-free Vegan Mac & Cheese

January 06, 2016

This could be my proudest creation yet.



It's also my 1 year veganniversary! :)
I guess I'm still a vegan baby but I'm learning and enjoying the journey a lot! I've grown and gained so much from being vegan. I honestly think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life so far.

I also made a video for this recipe on my YouTube channel :)



I've been feeling so great about veganism recently and I just feel so happy and thankful that I'm vegan. I'm so grateful that I found this lifestyle :)


So, to celebrate my 1 year vegan birthday/anniversary, I made a recipe video on vegan mac & cheese!
Not only is it extremely healthy, it's delicious too!! With no addition of oil, this sauce is still very creamy. And the cashews add a wonderful 'parmesan cheese'-like texture to the sauce.

My family really enjoyed this tasty and filling meal, even my carnivorous sister!



And I really don't get it when people say things like, "This is vegan cheese? It tastes nothing like the real thing."
Well, duh? It's because it's not the real thing but can you just appreciate the fact that it tastes good and that it's healthy and cruelty-free? Gosh.
 Source: tumblr
Don't mind my little rant, let's get on with the recipe :)

Recipe adapted from here.
Serves about 3 starving people OR 4 hungry people OR 5 people.

Ingredients

350g macaroni
70g raw cashews
225g peeled, diced yellow potatoes (about 3-4 yellow potatoes)
50g peeled, chopped onions
15g peeled, diced carrot
60ml coconut milk
170ml water (used to boil veggies)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste (I used garlic salt but you can use any salt of your choice)
Herbs of your choice (optional)

Directions

1. Cook macaroni al dente, according to package instructions (usually requires boiling for 6-8 minutes in salted water), drain, and set aside. Also soak your raw cashews in water to make them easier to blend later on.


2. Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.

3. When veggies are soft enough to blend, remove them from cooking water, but still save the cooking water.

4. Place the veggies in your blender. Add ¾ cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.


5. Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice, add herbs/salt/spices of your choice, and serve immediately.


Voila!
Look at this creamy goodness.


OH, and results day has been announced. It's going to be on Monday, 11th Jan 2016. Very excited and nervous. But I feel ready for the next chapter of my life. I feel like it's going to be very different from these past years.


This was so delicious. The nutty flavour from the cashews goes so well with the potatoes :) 


It's best eaten warm but if you let it cool (and if you want, put it in a refrigerator), it becomes like a potato macaroni salad!


That's all for this recipe, bye for now!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments