No-bake Chocolate Banana Nut Cake

January 18, 2016

I have a thought.


Instead of saying, "Everyone lost." isn't it the same as saying, "Everyone won."? Why not choose the latter and be more optimistic? 

I guess it's kind of like the glass is half-empty or half-full thing.


Okay, let me explain where these thoughts stem from.

I was watching a video from a fellow Singaporean vegan. Her video was informative and eloquent! It must've taken a lot of effort to put it together. But a rather rude commenter said something unpleasant. I replied in a way that I deemed was quite fair and polite. 
I don't know, I was quite pissed so that may have clouded my judgement. Help me? How does this sound?

Great video!! And I give a damn too!
Also, @(insert name of rude commenter), if that's the kind of attitude you have towards a human being- that her life is insignificant- I can't imagine how you would view the lives of the animals.
Please look up the facts? Your diet choice actually does affect many other beings.

Have a nice day :) 


Not too bad, is it?

Anyway the rude commenter replied and called me a dumb chink. 
*snaps fingers in Z-formation* 
Dude, why you gotta be so rude?
(Ooh, that rhymed, hahaha)


Ugh. I'm not going to reply to that otherwise this banter will never end. Anyway, the comment has been deleted, along with the replies.
 Also, this quote comes to mind:
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” 
― Mark Twain 
I hate losing so I'm just going to ignore that commenter.

Sigh, I don't want to rant anymore so let's get onto the recipe, yeah? :)


This recipe was inspired by the lovely and super aesthetic Jenny Mustard!! Her Instagram feed and YouTube channel is amazing and such a feast for the eyes. The link to her recipe is here.

I also posted my picture of this no-bake chocolate banana nut cake on Instagram and tagged Jenny. When she liked and commented on my picture I felt like I had a heart attack in the best way possible. (Heart attacks aren't good but you get what I mean.)


I made quite a lot of changes from Jenny. She used oats as the dry ingredient but I used nuts so it's pretty different. Nonetheless, it came out delicious :))  I'll try following Jenny's recipe to a T next time but for now, this is my rendition.



Ingredients

140-150g nuts (any nut of your choice, preferably almonds or cashews)
5 dates, pitted
1/2-1 banana
30-40g desiccated coconut
2-3tbsp cocoa powder (adjust to your liking of how chocolatey you want the cake to be)

handful of almonds, chopped
strawberries for topping

(The amount of each ingredient varies to your preference and possibly the climate. Make sure the consistency of the 'batter' is mouldable and somewhat easy to work with.)

Directions


  1. Blend the dates in a food processor until smooth (or as smooth as possible).
  2. Add the nuts, cocoa powder and desiccated coconut and blend again
  3. Add the banana and blend. if the dough needs more moisture, add more banana. if it’s too wet, add more nuts. 
  4. Form into a rectangle on a parchment paper and press/pat the chopped almonds onto the cake gently.
  5. Place in freezer for a few hours or overnight. Take the cake out of the freezer then cut into slices. Top with strawberries.



That's it! This super easy and delicious recipe was really awesome :)  It's simplicity really goes hand-in-hand with Jenny's minimalistic lifestyle! She inspires me to lead a more minimalistic life too.


These cake slices were really sweet and you can rest assured knowing that the sweetness comes from the natural sugar in the banana and dates :)  The nuts gave the cake a hearty crunch and the tarty strawberries added a nice touch of colour and taste.


That's all for this post, bye for now :))

You Might Also Like

0 comments